Best Practice I
Title of the Practice: PROMOTION OF INDIGENOUS CULTURE AND HERITAGE
2. Objectives of the Practice:
- To educate students about various ethnic groups of the state
- To promote indigenous culture and heritage
- To spread awareness among students about the various aspects of the indigenous local culture
- To act as a bridge between the present generation and the rich culture and heritage of the society
- To make efforts for protection and preservation of the indigenous knowledge, traditions, culture and heritage
3. The Context: In modern times, the youths are mainly concern to the recent developments. Globalization is one of the factors for which the cultural exchange is taking place a lot and social media plays a vital role in this regard. It has been noticed that the students and youths are not much interested or do not have much platforms to understand and know better about the indigenous culture, traditions and heritage of their own society. However, to make a society better it is important that the students and youth are connected to the roots by knowing the traditions and culture as well by being connect to the recent developments in the field of education, industry, technology, law, communication, business, politics etc. Keeping this in mind, Dasaratha Deb Memorial College took the initiative and established a Centre for Indigenous Culture and Heritage to spread awareness among the students and youth about the indigenous traditions, culture and heritage, which can contribute hugely in preserving and protecting the same. Tripura is a small hilly state of North East India and is rich in its culture and bio diversity. There are 19 tribes and other non-tribal communities in the state. This centre is visulaissed as an agent of ethnic harmony by making the students aware about the richness of various ethnic indigenous culture and heritage of the state.
4. The Practice: The Committee for Indigenous Culture and Heritage takes various initiative through the Centre to fulfill the objectives cited above.
- The committee meets regularly to explore ways to enrich students and make them aware about their own traditions and culture.
- The centre organizes workshops on indigenous skills, arts, crafts etc
- Centre for Indigenous Culture and Heritage has a museum, which depicts various aspects of indigenous culture and heritage. It showcases various traditions of different ethnic groups of the state.
- The faculty members associated with the centre take active initiatives to educate students about the rich traditions of Tripura by taking special sessions for them.
- The centre organizes special lecture sessions for students for fulfilling the objectives of the centre
- Various significant days are celebrated in the college to increase the level of awareness of the youths about the traditions and culture of the state.
5. Evidence of Success: Evidence of Success of the practice includes better ethnic cooperation and ethnic harmony in the institution as well as in the local society, learning various indigenous ethnic skills related to arts and crafts, mutual respect for each other etc.
6. Problems Encountered and Resources: The members of the centre find it difficult to manage time outside their teaching assignments to contribute in an effective manner. The centre also needs funding to increase its resources to make it more effective and to have an impact on the society as a whole.
7. Note: Sufficient faculty members and financial resources are required for a grand success of this practice.
Best Practice – II
1. Title of the Practice: EFFECTIVE TEACHING-LEARNING PROCESS.
- To ensure the completion of syllabus according to the academic calendar of College. • To encourage teachers to adapt to advance pedagogical methods including ICT adoption in class room teaching.
- To improve pass percentage, average marks in each semester and enhance the number of ranks bagged by the college at the university level examinations.
- To increase the placement of college as quality of students would be improved.
3. The Context: Teachers use different methods to teach in class. It was observed that syllabus coverage remains a challenge when there is need of uniformity. The teachers find it difficult to keep pace with the techno – savvy student learners. There was a need of uniformity and standard setting so that everyone is able to meet the objective of best teaching practices. It has become essential for teachers to adopt to the latest pedagogic styles and include ICT in class room teaching. The mismatch between the student learner and the teacher in the use and comfort of handling varieties of tools available for teaching – learning needs to bridged.
4. The Practice: Academic calendar is planned by the IQAC Committee of this institution in guidance of Head of institution.
- Academic calendar is uploaded on the website of college for information to students, teachers and others.
- On the basis of that, every faculty prepares the academic planner in the form of course file which is audited by the department head.
- The heads of different departments monitor the pace of coverage of the syllabus.
- Timely Feedback is obtained from students regarding the content delivery by different teachers.
- Assignments, tests and evaluation are conducted at scheduled dates to improve performance in the semester – end examinations.
- All the departments adapted their class room teaching with the help of ICT as possible as for the betterment of the teaching learning process.
5. Evidence of Success: Maximum teachers have adopted modern pedagogic styles and ICT in their classes.
- Appropriately paced and timely completion of syllabus.
- Increased attendance in the classes.
- Improvement in results.
6. Problems Encountered and Resources: This practice requires a monitoring system which can show the progress and gaps at each point of time. The different committees of the institute are serving the purpose but it needs upgradations as the time changes.
- Teaching is the core area of an educational sector. In an educational institution efficient handling of the teaching- learning practices enable a conducive to meaningfully engage the student voice. Student-friendly teaching learning environment can be created to foster a better learning among students.
- To develop the institutional culture to engage students and strengthen the student- teacher relationship further.
To help teachers benefit from the student feedback and evaluation on teaching methodology and classroom learning process